Online Multimedia and Animation courses prepare students for a fast-paced and rewarding career.
Online graphic design courses give students the fundamental skills and knowledge they need to pursue the graphic design field. By combining technical skills and aesthetics, online graphic design courses can help students develop an understanding of how to create a visual product from conception to print or digital.
Students enrolled in online graphic design courses can expect to learn about topics such as:
- The fundamentals of layout
- How to choose, create and edit digital images
- How to anticipate an audience's response to a design
Additionally, students may have the opportunity to get hands-on graphic design experience through internships.
There are a number of skills that students can gain from enrolling in the courses online, including:
- Typography: The visual look and feel of how text appears onscreen or on the page
- Digital photography: Providing imagery for use as part of a design project
- Desktop publishing: Using software like Adobe InDesign to arrange the layout of elements on design projects like posters, magazines and banners
- Color theory: The science behind colors and how they interact with one another
- Airbrush techniques: Using airbrush tools to color visual elements in precise fashion
- Animation: Creating animated sequences to add motion elements to a design project
- Branding strategies: Tying visual design work into effective marketing strategy
In addition to core graphic design courses, students may be required to take electives in skills like public speaking and project management.
Applying graphic design skills in the workplace
Professional graphic designers can stand to benefit by arming themselves with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills that allow them to create a variety of project environments, including magazines, brochures, company logos and advertisements. Through online graphic design courses, students can learn how to reach different kinds of audiences by integrating text and graphics in these different media.
Additionally, the communication skills graphic designers learn can help them work with clients. Project management skills can also be important for juggling the different elements of a project.
Other Potential Paths for Graphic Design Skills
- Advertising or marketing managers who work with clients to create print, television and Internet campaigns.
- Multimedia animators and artists, who are required to combine their artistic ability with technical skills in order to create realistic animations and designs.
- Art directors can also benefit from graphic design coursework, as they are required to take the lead in creating the visuals that appear in movies, magazines and newspapers.
These positions include duties such as creating artistic concepts, effectively communicating with clients about their vision and supervising staff members as they execute their work.